This year for Father's Day, I decided to make a Batman toy for my father-in-law whose favorite hero is Batman. It took a little while to figure out how exactly to make it but I am so happy with the end result. So, here it is!
Materials:
1. Yarn - Red Heart Simply Soft
- black
- grey
- yellow
2. Crochet hook - size G
3. Yarn needle
4. Felt (for the eyes)
5. Glue gun
Abbreviations:
mr - magic ring
ch - chain
sc - single crochet
rnd - round
decr - decrease
sl st - slip stitch
Head (in white):
mr, ch1, sc 8 in the ring
rnd 1: 2 sc in each - 16
rnd 2: 1 sc, 2 sc in next (8 times) - 24
rnd 3: 1 sc in next 2, 2 sc in 3rd (8 times) - 32
rnd 4: sc around
rnd 5: 1 sc in next 3, 2 sc in 4th (8 times) - 40
rnds 6 - 11: sc around - 40
rnd 12: sc in next 3, decr (8 times) - 32
rnd 13: sc around
rnd 14: sc in next 2, decr (8 times) - 24
rnd 15: sc in 1, decr (8 times) - 16
rnd 16: decr around - 8
Fasten off. Leave a long tail for sewing.
Legs (x 2):
Black yarn
mr, ch 1, sc 8 in the ring
rnd 1: 2 sc in each - 16
rnd 2: sc 1, 2 sc in next (8 times) - 24
rnd 3: sc around in back loop
rnd 4 - 7: sc around
rnd 8: sc in next 4, decr (4 times) - 20
rnd 9: sc around
rnd 10: sc in next 3, decr (4 times) - 16
rnd 11: sc around in back loop
Grey Yarn
rnd 12 - 14: sc around
rnd 15: sc in next 3, 2 sc in 4th (4 times) - 20
rnd 16: sc around - 20
rnd 17: sc in 4, sc 2 in 5th (4 times) - 24
Body:
rnd 18: Crochet or sew the legs together (just the middle 2 sts) and then in black sc around. You should have 48 sts. If you don't, just increase however many you need the next round
rnd 19 - 22: sc around
rnd 23: sc in next 4, decr (8 times) - 40
rnd 24: sc around
rnd 25: sc in next 3, decr (8 times) - 32
rnd 26: sc around in back loop
rnd 27: sc around in grey
rnd 28 - 33: sc around
rnd 34: sc in next 2, decr (8 times) - 24
rnd 35: sc around
rnd 36: sc in next, decr (8 times) - 16
rnd 37: sc around
rnd 38: decr (8 times) - 8
rnd 39: sc around
Fasten off.
Using the whip stitch, sew the head and and body together. When you're finished, it might look a little weird but be patient. Once you add the mask and cape, it will look great.
Mask and cape (black yarn):
mr, ch1, sc 8 in the ring
rnd 1: 2 sc in each - 16
rnd 2: 1 sc, 2 sc in next (8 times) - 24
rnd 3: 1 sc in next 2, 2 sc in 3rd (8 times) - 32
rnd 4: sc around
rnd 5: 1 sc in next 3, 2 sc in 4th (8 times) - 40
rnds 6 - 11: sc around - 40
rnd 12: sc in next 3, decr (8 times) - 32
rnd 13: sc around
rnd 14: sl st in next 10 sts; sc in 2, decr (until the end); sc in 2nd to last, 2 sc in last st. You should have 18 sts (not counting the 10 in which you sl st)
Now we'll be crocheting in a row in the 18 sts we sc
row 1: ch 1, sc - 18 sts. Turn and ch 1
row 2: sc until the end - 18 Turn and ch 1
row 3: sc until the end - 18 Turn and ch 1
row 4: sc until the end - 18
Put the mask on the head if you haven't already done so and sc into the white so you can connect the two black parts. I made 5 sts.
We're back to crocheting in the round
rnd 1: sc around (I sc a few sts into the head but you don't have to do that)
rnd 2: sc around
rnd 3: sc around
Leave the 7 sts in the middle (front) and don't crochet in them. We're going back to crocheting in a row. Ch 1 and turn
row 1: sc; ch 1 and turn
row 2: sc, ch 1 and turn
row 3: sc, ch 1 and turn
row 4: 2 sc in 1st st, sc until last st, 2 sc in last st; ch 1 and turn
row 5: sc until the end; ch 1 and turn
row 6: 2 sc in 1st st, sc until last st, 2 sc in last st; ch 1 and turn
row 7: sc until the end; ch 1 and turn
Repeat row 7 until you get to Batman's black boots. Fasten off and weave in.
Ears (x 2):
mr, ch 1, sc 5
rnd 1: 2 sc in each - 10
rnd 2 - 4: sc around Fasten off and sew into the head
Using the whip stitch, sew the ears to the head.
Arms (x 2):
Start with black yarn
mr, ch 1, sc 8
rnd 1: 2 sc in each - 16
rnd 2: 1 sc, 2 sc in next (8 times) - 24
rnd 3 - 6: sc around
rnd 7: in grey sc around
rnd 8: sc in 4 sts, decr (4 times) - 20
rnd 9: sc around
rnd 10: sc in 3 sts, decr (4 times) - 16
rnd 11 - 13: sc around
rnd 14: sc in 2 sts, decr (4 times) - 12 Stuff but not a lot.
rnd 15: sc around
rnd 16: sc, decr (4 times) - 8
rnd 17: sc around
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.
I used very little stuffing just to stuff a little above the black part of the arm.
Sew the arms into the body using the whip stitch.
Batman logo:
Yellow yarn
ch 5
rnd 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook; sc in next 2; 3 sc in last; going around sc in next 2; 2 sc in last
rnd 2: 2 sc in 1st st; sc in next 2; 2 sc in next 3 sts; sc in next 2; 2 sc in last 2 sts; sl st in next. Fasten off.
With the black yarn I just sewed lines until I made a shape that sort of looked like the Batman logo and then I glued the logo to the body. You can sew it if you want to but I just didn't have time.
Let me know what you think in the comments section.
I also apologize for mistakes in the pattern (if any). I was running behind and I might not have written something correctly. Please let me know if you notice any inconsistencies.
Happy Crocheting!!!
Много хубаво се е получило. Браво!
ReplyDeleteБлагодаря! :-)
DeleteHi, sorry if I send this comment, but I am realizing the project and I find it difficult to understand the 14rnd on the mask and cape. thank you if you could explain it in more detail. grazie.Lorena
ReplyDeleteOh, sorry about that. I think this will be a better explanation but let me know if it's still not clear. Round 14: sl st in 10 sts; 1 sc in 2 sts, sc 2 tog, 1 sc in 2 sts, sc 2 tog (and you will repeat that until you get to the 2nd to last st); when you get there, you will sc in the 2nd to last st and 2 sc in the last st. When you're done with that round, you should have 18 sts (not counting the 10 in which you sl st)
DeleteLet me know if that explanation is better and I will rewrite rnd 14 so it's more clear. :-)
This is super cute! Thank you for sharing and writing such detailed post. :)
ReplyDeleteOh my - how cute is this! Wish I knew how to crochet :)
ReplyDeleteThis is just darling! I know several little boys that would treasure this!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteYour Batman is adorable. Thank you for sharing it . I always wished I could crochet.
Now I wish I could crochet... This is so awesome!
ReplyDeleteSuch an adorable Batman! and a very complicated way of making it but worth it :D
ReplyDeleteWhat an adorable and thoughtful gift! Thanks for sharing the pattern.
ReplyDeleteCute batman. Perfect gift for my little boy!
ReplyDeleteYou did a really good job! :) How nice of you to share how you did it for others who may want to give it a try. I think knitting is very nice, I just don't know how to do it currently.
ReplyDeleteWhat do u mean when u say (8 time ) like 2sc in the next (8 times)
ReplyDeleteit means that you have to repeat it 8 times. for example, 2sc in next st (8 times).
DeleteThank you for taking the time to share this pattern. I am GRATEFUL!!
ReplyDeletei LOVE BATMAN trying this right now!!!!
ReplyDeletelove this! i have a question.. what does crocheting in the round mean? like after you attached the mask? please let me know I/m stuck!
ReplyDeleteHi Megan! I am sorry for the delay. I will try and explain better but English is only my second language. :-)
DeleteSo, you started the mask by crocheting in the round (kind of how you would make a hat). After a few rounds, you had to start crocheting in a row skipping 10 stitches because we don't want the black mask to cover the face. We want to see the face.. But after 4 rows of doing that, you put the mask on and make several chains. Then instead of turning to crochet in a row, you will single crochet into the next stitch basically connecting the two sides of the mask. That way you don't have to sew it to the head. And you will just continue crocheting in a round (or circle) for a couple more rounds. Then again we'll go back to rows so that we can create the cape.
I created the mask and cape this way because I don't like to sew pieces together. This way of crocheting makes the mask and the cape in one piece.
I don't know if this is any clearer. If it isn't, please let me know.
Thank you for using my pattern.