Making hats is so fun. I have been having an obsession lately with hats. It probably explains why my last posts have been all about them. They are so cute and adorable. And I finally found a great tutorial about hat sizing so I wanted to share.
Customize Hat Sizes
It was that post that inspired me to make the purple beauty on the picture. So darling!
Here is the pattern:
Materials:
1. Simply Soft yarn: two colors
2. Big button
3. Crochet hook: size H
4. Yarn needle
Abbreviations:
mr - magic ring
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
sl st - slip stitch
yo - yarn over
sc 2 tog - single crochet 2 together (decreasing)
Notes:
1. We'll be joining each round with a slip stitch.
2. When you are making your circle at the beginning (increasing), make it one size bigger because when we start crocheting with the darker color yarn, we'll actually decrease to make the nice shape of the hat.
Pattern:
In lighter color
mr, ch 1, hdc 8 in the ring
rnd 1: 2 hdc in each; sl st to join and ch 2 - 16
rnd 2: hdc 1, 2 hdc in next (8 times); sl st to join and ch 2 - 24
rnd 3: hdc in 2, 2 hdc in 3rd (8 times); sl st to join and ch 2 - 32
rnd 4: hdc in 3 sts, 2 hdc in 4th (8 times); sl st to join and ch 2 - 40
rnd 5: hdc in 4 sts, 2 hdc in 5th (8 times); sl st to join and ch 2 - 48
rnd 6: hdc in 5 sts, 2 hdc in 6th (8 times); sl st to join and ch 2 - 56
rnd 7: hdc in 6 sts, 2 hdc in 7th (8 times); sl st to join and ch 2 - 64
rnd 9: hdc in 8 sts, 2 hdc in 9th (8 times) - 80
When you are done increasing, crochet the next 4 (to 6) rounds the following way:
Yo twice, insert hook, yo once, pull and you have 4 loops. Yo again and pull through 2 sts. Now you have 3 loops on hook. Yo again, insert hook, yo and pull. Now you should have 5 loops. Yo and pull through all. Ch 1 and skip next stitch. Repeat the same process until the end of round. Sl st to join and ch 2.
We'll repeat the above for the next round but you will make a stitch where you skipped one.
I made four rounds of the puff stitch because the hat is for a smaller girl. But if you are making it for someone bigger, you can add more rounds of the puff stitch + skip.
Now that we are done with the four rounds, we'll use our second color (I chose it to be darker) and we'll start single crocheting around.
The first round, I decreased every 7th st and then just continued sc for 7 rnds.
After I finished the 7th rnd with the darker color, I switched back to the lighter color. The first round I increased every 7th st and the second round I increased every 8th st. For the last round I simply hdc around the following way: insert hook through back st, yo and pull (2 loops on hook). Insert hook through both back and front loops and yo again, then pull. Now you have 3 loops on hook. Yo again and pull through all 3 sts. Repeat for the whole last round. Fasten off and weave in the ends.
Bow (x 2):
ch 10
rnd 1: sc in 2nd st from hook; sc until the end; 2 sc in last st
Going around, 2 sc in 1st st; sc until the end; 3 sc in last
rnd 2 - 8: sc around
rnd 9: 1 sc, sc 2 tog (repeat until the end of round)
rnd 10: sc 2 tog (every st until the end)
Fasten off.
I sewed around the edges of the bow with the darker color, then put it on the hat and sewed the big button in the middle.
And the hat is done!!!
Let me know if you have any questions. I know this pattern isn't the best but I hope it's clear enough that you can make a gorgeous hat for some little girl. :-) And if you have any questions, please let me know.
Happy Crocheting!
What size is this hat, that you gave the instructions for?
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa, I can't tell you exactly because it was a long time ago that I made that hat. But I made it for a friend who was going to have a baby soon so it should have been for 0 - 3 months. But you can re-size the hat by following the instructions here: http://anniespictureperfect.blogspot.co.il/2013/01/how-to-properly-size-crochet-hats-chart.html
DeleteI apologize I can't be more helpful. I should have written down the size.